Randall strike makes it six of the best

Mar 8, 2020 | Archive

Larne made it six Danske Bank Premiership victories in a row with a hard fought 1-0 win at home to Glenavon.

The Invermen had to hang on in the end as Glenavon threw everything at them in search of a late leveller, but they held on to move to within three tops of the top three.

Tiernan Lynch’s fired themselves into the lead after 15 minutes, after great set-up play from John Herron.

It was superb work from the former Celtic man who skipped past two challenges on the right before feeding the ball to Mark Randall at the second attempt, and the midfielder had the simple task of tapping home from six yards out.

The visitors’ best chance of the first half arrived with seven minutes of it left, when Conor McCloskey stung the palms of Conor Mitchell after a swift counter attack.

Larne had a chance of their own from a quick break on 43 minutes, but Lee Lynch was denied after a brave block from defender Andrew Doyle.

The home side were quick out of the traps in the second half and it took a fine save from Johnny Tuffey to keep out Lee Lynch’s curling effort, after the midfielder had been sent clear on the left by Joe Tully on 50 minutes.

The lead was very nearly doubled on 68 minutes, when full back Dean Jarvis rose to meet Mark Randall’s corner, but his powerful header was just over.

Glenavon came within a whisker of a leveller on 73 minutes, but Conor McCloskey’s 20-yard came crashing back off the crossbar.

Glenavon had the ball in the net through Conor McCloskey’s dipping effort from 25 yards out, but it was ruled out for offside.

As the game ticked into stoppage time, the dangerous McCloskey whistled another effort just passed the post as Larne managed to hold on for all three points.

Larne: C Mitchell, Watson, Ramsey, Sule, Randall (74 mins, Tilney), Tully (63 mins Gilmour), Lynch, Cosgrove, Hughes, Jarvis, Herron (82 mins, A Mitchell)

Subs: Devlin, Flowers, Kelly, Andrade
Glenavon: Tuffey, Doyle, Moorhouse (59 mins Jenkins, 90 mins, Byrne), Harmon, Purkis, McCloskey, Snoddy, Singleton, Garrett, Birney, Davidson (59 mins, O’Mahony)
Subs: Larmour, Burns, Beggs, Farren

Referee: Raymond Crangle

Other News