Loan Watch: Max Greer helps steer ‘Breda to safety

May 25, 2022 | Archive

As another Irish League season draws to an end, it’s not only Larne’s campaign which had a successful conclusion.

During the January transfer window, Scholarship students Max Greer, Dylan Sloan and Nick Aretzis made the next step in their young careers by signing professional contracts at Inver Park. Upon signing the pro deals, the players agreed loan moves to Knockbreda and Bangor respectively, to increase competitive playing time and get an insight into senior football.

All three players benefited from plenty of minutes on the pitch, and supporters have been able to monitor their progress in our ‘Loan Watch’ series throughout the final six months of the season.

In this edition, we will review Max Greer’s experience at Breda Park, where the young prospect played a vital role in the East Belfast’s battle against relegation.

MAX GREER – Knockbreda

Greer made his debut for his temporary club in a 2-2 draw with Ballyclare Comrades, coming off the bench in the 71st minute of the game. The following week, Greer was named in the starting line-up against Loughgall, where he scored his team’s only goal in a 4-1 defeat at Lakeview Park.

The young defender, who is highly rated by coaches at Inver Park, went on to start every game in February before a busy March schedule led to several rotated line-ups for Breda. Having returned to the starting team come the end of March, Greer found the net again in a home game against Institute as the battle to avoid relegation continued.

While Breda’s struggling form continued into April, a 2-1 home victory over Ards provided a vital three points as they refused to lie down to the prospect of demotion to the third tier. It was Greer’s 47th minute opener which sent his side on the path to victory, with a follow up goal by Dylan Sloan on the day to secure the win at Breda Park.

An 11th place finish in the Championship resulted in a promotion/relegation play-off decider, with Greer’s side ironically facing Nick Aretzis’ Bangor team over two legs. Once again, it was Greer who found the net in the first leg to put his side 2-0 up, before a late fightback from the Seasiders resulted in a 2-2 stalemate after the first 90 minutes.

Remarkably, Greer continued his run of finding the back of the net after bagging another goal in the second leg, securing victory for the East Belfast side which guaranteed second division football for another season.

The full back has since returned to Inver Park, where he will continue his studies as part of our Scholarship Programme before taking some well-deserved time off. Greer is set to return for pre-season with the first team squad ahead of our European campaign and the 2022/23 season.

Other News