Glenavon comeback twice to ensure points are shared

Mar 29, 2021 | Archive

Tiernan Lynch’s men left Mourneview Park with just a point on Saturday as the home side twice came from behind to ensure it was honours even.

Marty Donnelly fired Larne ahead early on, but the lead was soon cancelled out by Matthew Fitzpatrick. Davy McDaid’s goal just before the break saw Larne regain the lead, but Conan Doyle came off the bench to earn Glenavon a draw from the penalty spot.

After a bright start to the game, Larne took the lead with 19 minutes on the clock after some fine work from McDaid.

He outmuscled Colin Coates, who had appealed for a free-kick, before drifting past two other players and slipping the ball to his right to find Marty Donnelly on the edge of the the box.

He took one touch before firing low past Hyland, low down to his right.

The lead lasted just four minutes however, as Fitzpatrick bagged his second goal in four days.

Larne failed to deal with a bouncing ball inside the area – including an appeal for a foul on Purkis – but Fitzpatrick didn’t wait for a second invitation and lashed home past Conor Devlin at the back post.

Davy McDaid fired a warning side of what was to come when he spun his marker in the box before firing wide on 32 minutes.

Eight minutes later he did manage to get his name on the scoresheet, though. A free-kick which looked like one straight off the training ground saw Jeff Hughes find Mark Randalll out on the left flank and his floated cross was met by the head of Jeff Hughes.

The skipper’s header glanced off the far post, and McDaid was on hand to tap Larne back into the lead.

The Invermen had two chances to extend their lead at the start of the second half, but were foiled after Mark Randall and John Herron both saw their shots from just outside the area well saved by Hyland.

As the second period wore on though Glenavon grew in confidence and their equaliser came as litte surprise with 17 minutes left.

Experienced midfielder Conan Doyle, only on the pitch two minutes as a sub, was fouled inside the area by Jeff Hughes.

Doyle dusted himself down to beat Conor Devlin from the spot, which was enough to ensure the spoils were shared.

Other News