Late McDaid double seals victory at ‘Point

Dec 22, 2019 | Archive

A brace from David McDaid in the final five minutes sealed victory for Larne in their trip to Warrenpoint.

The two sides met at Inver Park on the opening day of the season, with the home side running out comfortable 6-0 winners.

It was clear from early on a repeat of such a scoreline was unlikely, against a resilient home side.

Johnny McMurray had a couple of half chances early on while, at the other end, Alan O’Sullivan did well to work space for himself to fire over the bar from 25 yards out.

Ben Tilney showed good foot work on the left as he broke into the box, but his dangerous low ball evaded everyone.

Graham Kelly was forced to withdraw late in the first half, after being caught by a high boot, and was replaced with Northern Ireland under-21 international Sean Graham.

Lee Lynch was introduced at half-time and almost broke the deadlock 10 minutes into the second half. McDaid did well to slot him in behind the home defence, but the midfielder was unable to beat Mark Byrne in the home goal.

The introduction of Marty Donnelly saw Larne try to lift the tempo further. The first goal almost came whenever Tilney rounded goalkeeper  Byrne, but saw his effort cleared off the line by Emmett Bennett.

However, the breakthrough did arrived with just five minutes on the clock. Lynch sent Chris Ramsey clear on the right hand side of the box, and the defender drove the ball across the face of goal for Davy McDaid to slam home the opening goal.

The points were sealed in the first minute of stoppage time on the break, when Tilney fed McDaid and he produced a deft finish over the advancing Byrne.

Larne: Devlin, Kelly (Graham), Watson, Ramsey, McEleney, Sule, Randall (Lynch), McDaid, Tilney, Hughes, McMurray (Donnelly)

Unused subs: Mitchell, Andrade, McKendry, Gilmour

Larne are next in action on Boxing Day  when they take on Carrick Rangers at Inver Park. Kick-off is at 3pm.

Photo: Bill Guiller

Other News