Larne book Tennent’s Irish Cup last 16 spot

Jan 7, 2019 | Archive

Peter Wilson reports from Inver Park 

LARNE progressed to the sixth round of the Irish Cup after overcoming Newry City 2-1 at Inver Park. A penalty from David McDaid and a goal from David Scullion were enough to see off City, lying in the Premiership relegation play-off spot. 

With Fuad Sule suspended, newcomer Lee Lynch was drafted in whilst Benny Igiehon made his debut after arriving at the club in September. A strong start from the hosts soon paid dividends with David McDaid slotting from 12 yards on 10 minutes to make it 1-0. 

The first real chance for the visitors came just after half an hour; Darren King’s shot from distance edging past the post. Conor Devlin was forced into action on two minutes later, Stephen Taggart playing in Stefan Lavery; the number 15’s deep cross punched away by the ex-Cliftonville stopper. 

Debutant Benny Igiehon got a strong touch to produce a good save from Andy Coleman on 37 minutes. The City keeper was required again, once more denying Igiehon four minutes from half time. 

A neat ball from Tomas Cosgrove to substitute David Scullion allowed the midfielder to fire home from a tight angle to make it two 77 minutes in. 

Newry pulled one back with a minute to go, Delaney squaring the ball into the box for Stephen Taggart to tap in from close range.

Larne: Devlin, Ramsey, McEleney, Kelly, McDaid, Tilney, Lynch, Hassin (Scullion), Cosgrove, Hughes, Igiehon (Donnelly)

Unused subs: Dougherty, Henry, Finnegan, Stuart, McNally

Newry City: Coleman, King, Noonan (Walker), Boyle, McCann (Durnin), Hughes, Lavery, Teggart, Montgomery, McArdle (Delaney), Healy

Unused subs: Maguire, Johnston, Rushe, Delaney, Mullen

Referee: Tim Marshall

What’s up next?

Larne’s last pre-split fixture is in on Saturday 19 January at home to Loughgall. Kick-off at Inver Park is 2pm. 

In the Irish Cup, the sixth round brings an home tie against Crumlin Star on Saturday 2 February.

Other News