Honours even with Glentoran in televised BBC encounter

Jan 31, 2021 | Archive

Larne and Glentoran played out an entertaining 1-1 draw under the lights at Inver Park for their televised Danske Bank Premiership clash.

Jeff Hughes’ goal mid-way through the first half gave the home side the lead at the break but Robbie McDaid responded for the Glens within two minutes of the restart.

The opening 20 minutes from the game were played in a scrappy fashion with neither side able to keep hold of the ball for very long or carve out any meaningful chances.

The game finally sprung into life on 24 minutes when skipper Jeff Hughes bundled home from Marty Donnelly’s delivery from a corner on the right.It was the club captain’s first goal of the season.

The visitors did not have much luck in the search for an equaliser, Paul O’Neill’s effort form range being comfortably gathered by Conor Devlin two minutes from the half hour mark.

The Glens came very close to drawing level five minutes out from the interval as Robbie McDaid stabbed inches wide of the right post from Chris Gallagher’s low left-wing cross.

It was McDaid who brought Glentoran back on level terms two minutes after the restart though, poking in from six yards out after Gallagher flicked the ball on from Marcus Kane’s left-wing cross.

Just before the hour mark, Hughes made a winding run down the middle, played a one-two with Lee Lynch before directing an effort on goal from the left-hand side of the box but Dayle Coleing pushed it over the bar, at full stretch.

Mark Randall, just after being introduced as substitute, then sent a looping header off the top of the crossbar from Tomas Cosgrove’s right-wing delivery.

In the final moments, following Davy McDaid being brought on as a replacement for Johnny McMurray, there were two penalty appeals from the striker after he went down in the area but referee Tony Clarke waved both away.

Unused substitute Andy Scott was sent off following protests about the penalty appeals.

In the end, both Larne and Glentoran had to settle for a point apiece.

Larne:Devlin, Watson, Robinson (Kelly 50’), Herron (Randall 61’), Sule, Donnelly, Lynch, Cosgrove, Hughes, Jarvis, McMurray (McDaid 78’)

Subs not used: C Mitchell, Hale, Scott, A Mitchell

Glentoran:Coleing, Kane, McCullough, Bigirimana, Gallagher, O’Neill (Donnelly 66’), McDaid, McClean, Marron, Plum (Gorman 63’), Marshall (McDonagh 74’)

Subs not used:Stewart, Clucas, Brown, O’Connor

Referee:Tony Clarke

Larne’s busy schedule continues as they travel to face Glenavon on Tuesday 2 February (7.45pm) before taking on Warrenpoint Town at Inver Park on Saturday 6 February (3pm).

Other News